General Home Food Preservation
Up-to-date publications on food preservation methods, such as freezing and canning, available from the University of California and other land-grant institutions.
- Fresh Preserving and Canning Questions (Ball/Jarden Home Brands)
- Guidelines for Safe Canning of Acid Foods in a Steam Canner (Sept. 2017, UC ANR Publication 8573) (PDF 893 KB)
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
The NCHFP website contains science-based recommendations about a variety of meats, fruits and vegetables. Find expert advice on canning, freezing, drying, curing & smoking, fermenting, pickling, and making jams and jellies. Find information useful for home preservation for educators and home food preservers.
- Preserve@Home An online food preservation course. (University of Idaho Extension) Teaches individuals how to safely preserve a variety of food products.
- Safe and Healthy: Preserving Food at Home (University of Wisconsin-Extension)
- UC Home Preservation and Storage Publications UC publications discuss safe preservation and storage of a variety of fruits and vegetables.
A comprehensive list of websites and PDF files discussing home food preservation.
Food Preservation Outbreaks
- Botulism associated with home-fermented tofu - March/April 2012 (CDC)
- Botulism from home-canned beets in Oregon - August 2012 (NC State and Kansas State University) (PDF 268 KB)
- Botulism from drinking prison-made illicit alcohol - Arizona, 2012 (CDC)
- Botulism from home canned green beans - Spokane 2009 - (NC State and Kansas State University) (PDF 411 KB)
- Botulism caused from unsafe canning of home vegetables, 2008 & 2009 (CDC)
Suppliers of Home Canning Supplies and Ingredients
- All American
A supplier of pressure cookers and canners.
- Ball (Jarden Home Brands)
A comprehensive source for home canning information, including the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving.
- Sure Jell (Kraft)
- Presto (National Presto Industries, Inc.)
A convenient resource for pressure canners, canning basics, recipes and methods.
UC publications discuss safe preservation and storage of a variety of fruits and vegetables.
UC Master Food Preserver Program
UC Master Food Preserver Program is a public service community outreach volunteer program through the University of California Cooperative Extension that provides up-to-date information on food safety and preservation. Chapters are organized through county Cooperative Extension offices and volunteers undergo an extensive training program. Master Food Preservers organize meetings to help educate the community on the safe practices of food preservation, including pickling, drying, freezing, canning, and fruit preserves.
- Find a UC Master Food Preserver Program in your area
- UC Master Food Preserver Resources
- UC Master Food Preserver Food Safety Training - a series of 11 training modules on YouTube, recorded by Dr. Erin DiCaprio
A comprehensive list of (non-UC) University and Government websites discussing home food preservation.