With the exception of juices prepared and sold at a retail outlet, all juices must be processed using a hazard analysis and critical control points plan (HACCP). For further general information on HACCP see the HACCP section of this web site.
- Code of Federal Regulations Title 21 Part 120
Information pertaining to Juice HACCP regulations can be found here.
- Juice HACCP and the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act: Guidance for Industry (FDA, August 2017) (PDF 133 KB)
Particularly helpful are the question and answer guides and the Hazard and Control Guide:
Juice HACCP Training Programs
- Cider and Juice Outbreaks (Barfblog.com) (opens as .xslx download, 21 KB)
- Outbreaks of Foodborne Disease Associated with Fruit and Vegetable Juices, 1922–2010 (M.D. Danyluk et. al., University of Florida Extension) (PDF 676 KB)
Safer Processing of Juice Video
The California Department of Public Health, Food and Drug Branch developed these videos in cooperation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, University researchers, and Industry representatives to assist the industry in producing a safer product.
Safer Processing of Juice Video - 2 hours 26 min. total. (from YouTube, PublicResource.org)
- Safer Juice Part 1 - Introduction to Food Safety - 3:54 min
- Safer Juice Part 2 - Regulations, Requirements, and Guidance - 27:44 min
- Safer Juice Part 3 - Personnel Practices - 12:17 min
- Safer Juice Part 4 - Cleaning and Sanitizing - 13:27 min
- Safer Juice Part 5 - Agricultural Practices and Raw Materials - 18:44 min
- Safer Juice Part 6 - Processing Design and Packaging - 21:18 min
- Safer Juice Part 7 Performance Standards and Intervention - 48:35 min
- Safer Juice Part 8 Wrap-Up - 3:32 min