- California Dept. of Food and Agriculture's Produce Safety Program (2018)
- California Urban Agriculture Food Safety Guide: Laws and Standard Operating Procedures for Farming Safely in the City (UCANR Publication 8660, Dec. 2020, PDF 3.7 MB)
- Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF) Supporting family farms and their communities.
- A Farmer's Guide to Conservation and Food Safety - Facts, Tips, and FAQ, October 2017 (PDF 853 KB)
- Fact Sheets and Food Safety Plan Templates
- Food Safety Cost-Share Program Farms can save money on water testing and 3rd Party Food Safety Audits
- Agricultural Resources in Spanish
- Food Safety Resources for Farmers
- Produce Safety Alliance (Cornell University)
The Produce Safety Alliance was established at Cornell University with funding from the USDA and FDA. The Alliance has developed a nationwide curriculum, the National Good Agricultural Practices Program, to increase understanding of the principles of Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) and to facilitate the implementation of food safety practices on fresh fruit and vegetable farms and in packinghouses. Includes educational materials - posters, booklets, photonovels, magnets, etc. in English, Spanish, and other languages.
- "Rarely Consumed Raw" - (FDA Fact Sheet) (PDF 160 KB) Produce Safety Rule and the Food Safety Modernization Act
- UC Good Agricultural Practices (GAP)
Several publications on the key points of control and management of microbial food safety as part of the management plan of good agricultural practices for produces, handlers and processors of edible horticultural crops.
- Trevor V. Suslow, Emeritus - Publications - A list of topical publications from Dr. Suslow, UC Davis Research Extension
- Aquaponics Association
- Aquaponics Association Provisional GAPs Standards (Aquaponics Association, February 2015)
- UMN Aquaponics Resources (University of Minnesota)
- Aquaponics - California Aquaculture (UC Davis, 2012) (PDF 328 KB)
- Aquaponics in Hawaii (University of Hawaii, 2013) (PDF 1.1 MB)
- Fox, B.K., C.S. Tamaru, J. Hollyer, L.F. Castro, J.M. Fonseca, M. Jay-Russell, and T. Low. October 2012. A Preliminary Study of Microbial Water Quality Related to Food Safety in Recirculating Aquaponic Fish and Vegetable Production Systems. Food Safety and Technology FST-51. (PDF 1.6 KB)
- Controlled Environment Agriculture Center (The University of Arizona)
- Greenhouse and High Tunnel Resources (University of California Cooperative Extension, 2011) (PDF 546 KB)
- Hydroponic/Greenhouse Crops (University of Florida Extension)
- Disposition of Food From Flood-Affected Crops
o Letter to the Vermont Agency of Agriculture September 16, 2011
o Letter to State Agriculture Departments/Agencies September 27, 2011
- Guidance for Industry: Evaluating the Safety of Flood-affected Food Crops for Human Consumption (FDA)
- A Notice to Growers, Food Manufacturers, Food Warehouse Managers, and Transporters of Food Products About the Safety of Food Affected by Hurricanes, Flooding, and Power Outages (FDA)
- Guidance for Industry: A Notice to Growers, Food Manufacturers, Food Warehouse Managers, and Transporters of Food Products on Decontamination of Transport Vehicles (FDA)
- A Notice to Growers, Food Manufacturers, Food Warehouse Managers, and Transporters of Food Products on How to Dispose of Contaminated Food (FDA)
GAPs Information Sites - Other Non-UC Sources
- California Leafy Greens Marketing Agreement
- Cornell University - National Good Agricultural Practices Program
- Farm Food Safety - GAPS (Penn State University)
- Florida Tomato GAPs
- Leafy Greens Guidance (Western Growers Association)
- GAP Checklists and Guidance by Commodity (United Fresh Produce Association)
GAPs Training Opportunities
Online GAPS Course:
- GAPs Online Produce Safety Course Sponsored by Cornell University.
(See the Online Course home page for the most current course offering and more information.)
GAPS Training Materials
- Food Safety Resources for Farmers: Worker Health, Hygiene, and Training (UMass Amherst's Center for Food, Agriculture, and the Environment) This site includes posters, logs, charts, resources on sanitation products, fact sheets, and more.
- On-Farm Food Safety Project (FamilyFarmed)
This website includes a free online tool which generates customized on-farm food safety plans based on user input. The tool is designed for use by small to mid-scale fruit and vegetable growers and provides a full set of record keeping tools to document food safety programs.
- On-Farm Food Safety Health and Hygiene Video (IN ARABIC with English subtitles) (FoodSafety Clearinghouse)
- National GAPS Educational Materials (Cornell University) Includes guides, booklets, coloring books, magnets, farm assessment tools.
Management of Soil Amendments
- Food Safety in the Field: Using Manure and Compost Safely Video (in NEPALI with English subtitles) (FoodSafety Clearinghouse)
- Managing Manure Applications (Sacramento Valley BMP Handbook) (PDF 2.3 MB)
- Test Methods for the Examination of Composting and Compost (US Composting Council)
- The Dos and Don'ts of Dairy Manure Management (California Dairy Quality Assurance Program) (PDF 1.02 MB)
- US Composting Council
- Bibliography: Food Safety for Perennial Fruit Crops 06-08 (PDF 57 KB)
- Bibliography: General Food Safety Related to Tree Crops 06-08 (PDF 39 KB)
- Bibliography: Tree Crop Food Safety 06-08 (PDF 95 KB)
- Council on Agriculture, Science and Technology (CAST), Food Safety and Fresh Produce: An Update
- Water Treatment Systems for Pre-harvest Use (New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension Service)
Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
- Conducting Root Cause Analysis: A “How-To” Guide for the Produce Industry (Western Growers) This document is intended as a walk through for conducting root cause analysis. It provides instruction to determine the underlying reason or reasons that caused the unexpected event or incident, identify the actions needed to eliminate the problem, determine if there were multiple co-dependent factors or inter-related issues, and enact steps to prevent it from happening again. See PDF below.
- RCA Guidance for the Produce Industry - How to do RCA (Western Growers) (PDF 468 KB)
Wildlife / Pest Management
- Roof rats in orchards (UCANR)