Information from UC
- Free ANR Online Course: Balancing Food Safety and Sustainability – Opportunities for Co-Management
Balancing Food Safety and Sustainability - Opportunities for Co-management (PDF 1.7 MB), UC ANR Cooperative Extension
Co-Management – A Short Video on Balancing Food Safety and Sustainability
Balancing food safety and sustainability goals is a vital goal of produce industry management. On their farms, growers are active stewards of the land, protecting soil and water quality as well as supporting wildlife populations by preserving their habitat. At the same time, growers must ensure that their crops are free from contamination that can cause foodborne illnesses. This video demonstrates how opportunities for co-management of food safety and sustainability goals can be found throughout the food supply chain.
Co-management Practice Resources
A series of resource sheets for food safety auditors that describe conservation practices commonly used in agriculture’s production environment.
- Introduction to Auditor Resource Materials (UCANR 159 KB)
- Practices in the production field
- Practices adjacent to the production field
- Practices in the production environment
- M. Beretti and D. Stuart. Food safety and environmental quality impose conflicting demands on Central Coast growers. California Agriculture 62(2):68-73. (PDF 1.0 MB)
- Crohn, D.M. and M.L. Bianchi. 2008. Research Priorities for Coordinating Management of Food Safety and Water Quality. Journal of Environmental Quality 37(4):1411-1418.
- Lowell, K., J. Langholz, and D. Stuart. 2010. Safe and Sustainable: Co-Managing for Food Safety and Ecological Health in California’s Central Coast Region. San Francisco, CA. and Washington, D.C: The Nature Conservancy of California and the Georgetown University Produce Safety Project. An Initiative of The Pew Charitable Trusts at Georgetown University. (PDF 1.4 MB) See www.producesafetyproject.org for more information.
- Wild Farm Alliance, 2016: Co-Managing Farm Stewardship with Food Safety GAPs and Conservation Practices: A Grower’s and Conservationist’s Handbook. (PDF 2.8 MB)