- California Dept. of Food and Agriculture's Produce Safety Program (2018)
- Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF) Supporting family farms and their communities.
- A Farmer's Guide to Conservation and Food Safety - Facts, Tips, and FAQ, October 2017 (PDF 853 KB)
- Fact Sheets and Food Safety Plan Templates
- Postharvest Resources, including videos subtitled in Spanish (click on CC in YouTube links)
- Workshops and Events Schedule Food Safety Training Schedule
- Webinars for Growers and Organic Professionals Past trainings from 2017.
- Produce Safety Alliance (Cornell University)
The Produce Safety Alliance was established at Cornell University with funding from the USDA and FDA. The Alliance has developed a nationwide curriculum, the National Good Agricultural Practices Program, to increase understanding of the principles of Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) and to facilitate the implementation of food safety practices on fresh fruit and vegetable farms and in packinghouses. Includes educational materials - posters, booklets, photonovels, magnets, etc. in English, Spanish, and other languages.
- UC Good Agricultural Practices (GAP)
Several publications on the key points of control and management of microbial food safety as part of the management plan of good agricultural practices for produces, handlers and processors of edible horticultural crops.
- Trevor V. Suslow, Emeritus - Publications - A list of topical publications from Dr. Suslow, UC Davis Research Extension Specialist, Emeritus.
Produce Safety Rule and the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)
- Disposition of Food From Flood-Affected Crops
o Letter to the Vermont Agency of Agriculture September 16, 2011
o Letter to State Agriculture Departments/Agencies September 27, 2011
- Guidance for Industry: Evaluating the Safety of Flood-affected Food Crops for Human Consumption (FDA)
- A Notice to Growers, Food Manufacturers, Food Warehouse Managers, and Transporters of Food Products About the Safety of Food Affected by Hurricanes, Flooding, and Power Outages (FDA)
- Guidance for Industry: A Notice to Growers, Food Manufacturers, Food Warehouse Managers, and Transporters of Food Products on Decontamination of Transport Vehicles (FDA)
- A Notice to Growers, Food Manufacturers, Food Warehouse Managers, and Transporters of Food Products on How to Dispose of Contaminated Food (FDA)
GAPs Information Sites - Other Non-UC Sources
- California Leafy Greens Marketing Agreement
- Cornell University - National Good Agricultural Practices Program
- Farm Food Safety and Management (Penn State University)
- Florida Tomato GAPs
- Leafy Greens Guidance (Western Growers Association)
GAPs Training Opportunities
Online GAPS Course:
- GAPs Online Produce Safety Course Sponsored by Cornell University.
(See the Online Course home page for the most current course offering and more information.)
GAPS Training Materials
- Food Safety Resources for Farmers: Worker Health, Hygiene, and Training (UMass Amherst's Center for Food, Agriculture, and the Environment) This site includes posters, logs, charts, resources on sanitation products, fact sheets, and more.
- On-Farm Food Safety Project (FamilyFarmed)
This website includes a free online tool which generates customized on-farm food safety plans based on user input. The tool is designed for use by small to mid-scale fruit and vegetable growers and provides a full set of record keeping tools to document food safety programs.
- On-Farm Food Safety Health and Hygiene Video (IN ARABIC with English subtitles) (FoodSafety Clearinghouse)
- National GAPS Educational Materials (Cornell University) Includes guides, booklets, coloring books, magnets, farm assessment tools.
Management of Soil Amendments
- Food Safety in the Field: Using Manure and Compost Safely Video (in NEPALI with English subtitles) (FoodSafety Clearinghouse)
- Managing Manure Applications (Sacramento Valley BMP Handbook) (PDF 2.3 MB)
- Principles for Preparing Water Quality Objectives in British Columbia (Publication of the Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks. Government of British Columbia, CN. Marr, B. 2001.) (PDF 283 KB)
- Test Methods for the Examination of Composting and Compost (US Composting Council)
- The Dos and Don'ts of Dairy Manure Management (California Dairy Quality Assurance Program) (PDF 1.02 MB)
- US Composting Council
- Bibliography: Food Safety for Perennial Fruit Crops 06-08 (PDF 57 KB)
- Bibliography: General Food Safety Related to Tree Crops 06-08 (PDF 39 KB)
- Bibliography: Tree Crop Food Safety 06-08 (PDF 95 KB)
- The Association of Food and Drug Officials (AFDO) Model Code for Produce Safety
- Council on Agriculture, Science and Technology (CAST), Food Safety and Fresh Produce: An Update
- Water Treatment Systems for Pre-harvest Use (New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension Service)
Wildlife / Pest Management
- Roof rats in orchards (UCANR)