Produce Safety Rule (Food Safety Modernization Act)
About the rule - Resources updated August, 2018
- California Dept. of Agriculture Produce Safety Program (2018)
- Factsheet Series on the Intersection of Organic (USDA NOP) and Food Safety (FDA FSMA) Regulations (Community Alliance with Family Farmers - CAFF)
- Farmers Guide to Food Safety and Conservation (Oct. 2017, CAFF) (PDF 853 KB)
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (PDF 1.6 MB) Flowchart to determine whether farms or small food processors are affected by the Produce Rule or Preventive Controls Rule for Human Food. (With CAFF: In Spanish, PDF 5.3 MB)
- Postharvest Resources (CAFF) Videos, tools, and topics on cleaning, disinfectants, sanitizers & on-farm wash water.
- Recordings, PDFs and Webinars for Growers (CAFF)
- What is the FSMA? (PennState Extension) 28-minute video
- Which FSMA Regulation Applies? (PennState Extension) (as PDF 2.3 MB)
Added July 2018
- FDA Fact Sheet: Biological Soil Amendments of Animal Origin (FDA, 7-23-18) (PDF 155 KB)
The Western Center for Food Safety was asked by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to facilitate the development of research protocols for scientific studies that evaluate the persistence of foodborne pathogens in the environment and on the edible portions of fresh produce following:
- application of potentially contaminated untreated soil amendments of animal origin to land used to grow fresh produce or
- application of potentially contaminated agricultural water applied to the edible portion of the crop
The Agricultural Water and Soil Amendment framework documents were developed by two committees through a series of webinars, e-mail communication and a workshop that was held in Davis, CA in October 2011. Additional academic, government and industry food safety experts reviewed the draft documents prior to submission to the Journal of Food Protection.
- Produce Safety (Part 112) Compliance Dates for Small, Very Small, and Not Small Business (FDA)
- Produce Safety Alliance - Clarification of Compliance Dates (PDF 220 KB)
Fact Sheets - Final Rule
Final Produce Safety Rule
Farm Food Safety Plan Resources
- Farm Food Safety Plan Resources (Colorado State University Extension) Narrated modules on developing a farm food safety plan and other FSMA Produce Rule resources.
- Farm Food Safety Plan Writing Resources (Cornell)
- Factsheets and Food Safety Plan Templates (CAFF) See "Getting Started with Writing a Food Safety Plan". In English, Spanish, and Hmong.
- Food Safety Materials (UC Small Farm Program)
Food Safety Plan Templates
- Factsheets and Food Safety Plan Templates (CAFF) In English, Spanish, and Hmong.
- Good Agricultural Practices Food Safety Plan Template (Colorado State University Extension) (PDF 383 KB)
- Good Agricultural Practices Food Safety Plan Guide (Colorado State University Extension) (PDF 1.9 MB)
- Harmonized Food Safety Plan Sample (PennState Extension) (PDF 457 KB)
- Harmonized Food Safety Plan Template (PennState Extension) (Can download Word doc here)
Produce Safety Alliance
From the website: The Produce Safety Alliance is developing a nationwide curriculum to increase understanding of the principles of Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) and to facilitate the implementation of food safety practices on fresh fruit and vegetable farms and in packinghouses.
- Grower Training Manual (English)
- Grower Training Manual (Spanish)
- Grower Training Manual References and Links
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Compliance with and Recommendations for Implementation of the Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption for Sprout Operations (PDF 1 MB)
- Sprouts: Subpart M (PDF 144 KB)
- Sprout Safety Alliance: Public-private alliance responsible for developing core curriculum and conducting training and outreach for stakeholders in the sprout production community to enhance the industry’s understanding and implementation of the requirements of the FDA FSMA Produce Safety Rule.
- Upcoming Grower Trainings (Cornell Produce Safety Alliance)