UC Food Safety Home
Research and Extension faculty at UC Davis, Drs. Linda Harris and Trevor Suslow, welcome you to the University of California Food Safety website. Link to presentations, publications, and websites related to the production, harvest and processing of foods. The emphasis is microbial food safety but food biotechnology, food quality, and food security are also addressed.
Newly Added to Website - June 2015
New - March 2015
Listeria monocytogenes Guidance on Environmental Monitoring and Corrective Actions in At-risk Foods - July 7, 2014 (GMA) (PDF 384 KB)
Assessment of General RPC Cleanliness As Delivered for Use in Packing and Distribution of Fresh Produce - Final Report (Trevor Suslow, UC Davis, Oct. 2014) (PDF 724 KB)
New - February 2015
New - January 2015
- A comprehensive list of references pertaining to microbial safety of nuts and sesame seed
Publications on the Microbial Safety of Nuts and Sesame Seeds (updated 1-12-15) (PDF 194 KB)
Outbreaks, Recalls, Surveys, Survival, and Inactivation
- Outbreaks from Tree Nuts, Peanuts, and Sesame Seeds (updated 1-12-15) (PDF 79 KB)
- US Recalls of Nuts (updated 6-5-15) (PDF 171 KB)
- Surveys for Foodborne Pathogens on Nuts (updated 1-26-15) (PDF 108 KB)
- Survival of Foodborne Pathogens on Nuts (updated 1-26-15) (PDF 82 KB)
- Inactivation of Microorganisms in Nuts and Nut Pastes: Table and References (added 2-18-15) (PDF 94 KB)
UC Food Blog
Food assistance and education combine to ease food insecurity
Posted 7/7/2015 - Celebrities have taken the “food stamp challenge,” trying to feed themselves on a budget equivalent to federal food benefits for the poor. Most have failed, but UC Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR) has found a way to help low-income...
NPI study: Law improves beverage environment in California childcare
Posted 6/30/2015 - Obesity among preschoolers is a serious health problem, with one in four obese or overweight by the time the child is ready for kindergarten. Given that well over half of preschool age children are in childcare, UC ANR Nutrition Policy Institute...