UC Food Safety Home
Research and Extension faculty at UC Davis, Drs. Linda Harris, Erin DiCaprio, and Trevor Suslow, welcome you to the University of California Food Safety website. Link to presentations, publications, and websites related to the production, harvest and processing of foods. The emphasis is microbial food safety but food biotechnology, food quality, and food security are also addressed.
Added November 2016: Holiday Food Safety
- Downloadable graphic: A Safe Holiday Feast (FightBac.org) (PDF 996 KB)
- Holiday Food Safety (FDA)
- Holidays: FoodSafety.gov - Useful information about food safety for all holidays. Includes:
- Talking Turkey - information for a safe holiday feast (FightBac.org)
- Cranberry Sauce Recipe - Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Fruit (National Center for Home Food Preservation)
- Handling ingredients (FightBac.org)
- Thanksgiving Food Safety (Foodsafety.gov)
- Top Holiday Resources (Turkey Safety) (USDA)
Added October 2016:
- 2016 Food Facility Biennial Registration Renewal (FDA) open period for renewals from Oct. 1, 2016 through Dec. 31, 2016.
- Draft Guidance for Industry - Q & A Regarding Food Facility Registration (7th Edition) (FDA)
- Garlic: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy Includes section on making garlic in oil, with recipe. (UCANR Publication) (PDF 1.08 MB)
Hazard and Control Guides (from HACCP Information page)
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Food (FDA)
- Fish and Fishery Products Hazards and Controls Guidance - Fourth Edition (FDA)
- Guidance for Industry: Juice HACCP Hazards and Controls Guidance First Edition; Final Guidance (FDA)
- Guidance Documents for Meat and Poultry (USDA)
Added June 2016:
- NEW BPCS Training! Acidified Foods Manufacturing School (combination of online & in-person)
Added to Website - updated May 2016:
- Bibliography: Containing a comprehensive list of references pertaining to microbial safety of nuts and sesame seed. Publications on the Microbial Safety of Nuts and Sesame Seeds (updated 5-4-16) (PDF 219 KB)
- Outbreaks from Tree Nuts, Peanuts, and Sesame Seeds (updated 5-4-16) (PDF 130 KB)
- Recalls of Nuts (U.S.) (updated 5-4-16) (PDF 206 KB)
UC Food Blog
Seven tips for enjoying holiday meals
Posted 11/22/2016 - Before you gobble down that Thanksgiving turkey and pumpkin pie, take a moment to maximize your enjoyment. The University of California has experts on every topic imaginable, including food and the science of taste and sensory experience. Here are their...
New life for tea in the San Joaquin Valley
Posted 11/18/2016 - Fifty-five years ago, Thomas J. Lipton Inc. funded a tea study at the UC Kearney Agricultural Research and Extension Center in Parlier, which is piquing the interest of scientists today. For 18 years, researchers pampered and coaxed 41 tea clones to...