UC Food Safety Home
Research and Extension faculty at UC Davis, Drs. Linda Harris, Erin DiCaprio, and Trevor Suslow, welcome you to the University of California Food Safety website. Link to presentations, publications, and websites related to the production, harvest and processing of foods. The emphasis is microbial food safety but food biotechnology, food quality, and food security are also addressed.
Better Process Control School In-Person, Feb. 14- 17, 2017: Registration now open.
Added January 2017:
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Compliance with and Recommendations for Implementation of the Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption for Sprout Operations (PDF 1 MB)
- Sprouts: Subpart M (PDF 144 KB)
Added October 2016:
- 2016 Food Facility Biennial Registration Renewal (FDA) open period for renewals from Oct. 1, 2016 through Dec. 31, 2016.
- Draft Guidance for Industry - Q & A Regarding Food Facility Registration (7th Edition) (FDA)
- Garlic: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy Includes section on making garlic in oil, with recipe. (UCANR Publication) (PDF 1.08 MB)
Hazard and Control Guides (from HACCP Information page)
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Food (FDA)
- Fish and Fishery Products Hazards and Controls Guidance - Fourth Edition (FDA)
- Guidance for Industry: Juice HACCP Hazards and Controls Guidance First Edition; Final Guidance (FDA)
- Guidance Documents for Meat and Poultry (USDA)
Added June 2016:
- NEW BPCS Training! Acidified Foods Manufacturing School (combination of online & in-person)
Added to Website - updated May 2016:
- Bibliography: Containing a comprehensive list of references pertaining to microbial safety of nuts and sesame seed. Publications on the Microbial Safety of Nuts and Sesame Seeds (updated 5-4-16) (PDF 219 KB)
- Outbreaks from Tree Nuts, Peanuts, and Sesame Seeds (updated 5-4-16) (PDF 130 KB)
- Recalls of Nuts (U.S.) (updated 5-4-16) (PDF 206 KB)
UC Food Blog
Pecan pie: A holiday tradition and a treat
Posted 12/20/2016 - “Ahh, nuts!” This time of year, you're probably thinking “Ahh, pecans!” And particularly, “Ahh, pecan pie!” We do love our pecans. The U.S. produces 80 to 95 percent of the world's pecans, and most are grown in...
Youth speak, we listen: Youth voices in urban agriculture and building the UC connection
Posted 12/13/2016 - For many youth in California, agriculture is becoming part of their urban experience. Urban farms, edible parks, and garden education programs are thriving in cities across the state. These places grow food, teach youth job skills, create community green...