UC Food Safety Home
Research and Extension faculty at UC Davis, Drs. Linda Harris, Erin DiCaprio, and Trevor Suslow, welcome you to the University of California Food Safety website. Link to presentations, publications, and websites related to the production, harvest and processing of foods. The emphasis is microbial food safety but food biotechnology, food quality, and food security are also addressed.
Produce Safety Alliance Train-the-Trainer Course, March 14-15th, 2017: Registration now open.
Better Process Control School In-Person, Feb. 14- 17, 2017: Registration now open.
Updated February 2017: Nuts and Nut Pastes
- Bibliography: Containing a comprehensive list of references pertaining to microbial safety of nuts and sesame seed. Publications on the Microbial Safety of Nuts and Sesame Seeds (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 214 KB)
- Inactivation of Microorganisms in Nuts and Nut Pastes: Table and References (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 91 KB)
- Outbreaks from Tree Nuts, Peanuts, and Sesame Seeds (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 83 KB)
- Recalls of Nuts (U.S.) (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 97 KB)
- Surveys for Foodborne Pathogens on Nuts (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 106 KB)
Added January 2017: Sprouts
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Compliance with and Recommendations for Implementation of the Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption for Sprout Operations (PDF 1 MB)
- Sprouts: Subpart M (PDF 144 KB)
Added October 2016:
- 2016 Food Facility Biennial Registration Renewal (FDA) open period for renewals from Oct. 1, 2016 through Dec. 31, 2016.
- Draft Guidance for Industry - Q & A Regarding Food Facility Registration (7th Edition) (FDA)
- Garlic: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy Includes section on making garlic in oil, with recipe. (UCANR Publication) (PDF 1.08 MB)
Hazard and Control Guides (from HACCP Information page)
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Food (FDA)
- Fish and Fishery Products Hazards and Controls Guidance - Fourth Edition (FDA)
- Guidance for Industry: Juice HACCP Hazards and Controls Guidance First Edition; Final Guidance (FDA)
- Guidance Documents for Meat and Poultry (USDA)
Added June 2016:
- NEW BPCS Training! Acidified Foods Manufacturing School (combination of online & in-person)
UC Food Blog
Building trust in food systems – here and in Cambodia
Posted 2/21/2017 - What is the role of trust in our food system? Here in the United States, our trust in food is often implicit. We can generally trust that the fruits and vegetables we buy at a grocery store or farmers market are safe to eat — and we are often free...
Changes in breast milk sugars impact babies’ health and growth
Posted 2/8/2017 - When it comes to nursing moms and their babies, an elegant web of cause and effect connects climate, breast milk, gut microbes and infant health. That web was clearly illustrated by a recently published study involving 33 women and their babies in the...