- The California Backyard Orchard (UC Master Gardener Program)
Food Safety in Community Gardens
- Food Safety in the Community Garden (North Carolina State University)
- Food Safety Tips for School Gardens (NFSMI - Univ. of Mississippi & USDA) (PDF 2 MB)
- Growing Safer Gardens - Materials developed by Dr. Ben Chapman and his research group from North Carolina State University have been combined with other useful information in one location. From the site:
Food Safety in the Edible Landscape
- Key Points of Control and Management for Microbial Food Safety: Edible Landscape Plants and Home Garden Produce (PDF 71 KB). This publication provides a brief outline of the important components of microbial food safety practices for home gardeners and edible landscape practitioners. The diversity and scale of home garden environments, gardening practices, and food handling practices make a single approach to food safety planning in the garden unrealistic. This publication, drawn from research and practical experience, focuses on the key guiding principles of preventing contamination, reducing the survival of pathogens, and preventing cross-contamination at each step.
- Food Safety Tips for Your Edible Home Garden (English) (PDF 405 KB)
- Food Safety Tips for Your Edible Home Garden (Spanish) (PDF 296 KB)
- Gardening Food Safety (University of Hawai'i) (PDF 388 KB)
- Nuts: Safe Methods for Home Gardeners to Handle, Store, and Enjoy Almonds, Chestnuts, Pecans, Pistachios, and Walnuts (PDF 6.18 MB)
Flooding in the Edible Landscape
- Recovering from a Storm (North Carolina State University) (PDF 212 KB)
Pets in the Edible Landscape
- Dog and Cat Manure on Home Gardens (info from UW-Madison Extension, posted in the Houston Chronicle)
- Toxoplasmosis and Cat Manure (CDC)
Backyard Meat, Poultry and Egg Production
Information about food safety considerations pertaining to backyard production of meat, poultry and eggs.
- Backyard Poultry Resources - University of California Cooperative Extension
- Egg Safety - Backyard Chickens - Fact sheet from Colorado State University Extension.
- How to Keep a Small Poultry Flock - Fact sheet from New Mexico State University Extension.
- Backyard Production of Meat Rabbits in Texas (Texas A&M Extension)