UC Food Safety Home
Research and Extension faculty at UC Davis, Drs. Linda Harris, Erin DiCaprio, and Trevor Suslow, welcome you to the University of California Food Safety website. Link to presentations, publications, and websites related to the production, harvest and processing of foods. The emphasis is microbial food safety but food biotechnology, food quality, and food security are also addressed.
Added October 2016:
Halloween Food Safety
- Avoid "Nightmares" on Halloween: Food SafetyTips (foodsafety.gov)
- Halloween Food Safety Tips for Parents (FDA)
- Halloween Food Safety How-to (FightBac.org)
- Halloween Health and Safety Tips (CDC)
Hazard and Control Guides (from HACCP Information page)
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Food (FDA)
- Fish and Fishery Products Hazards and Controls Guidance - Fourth Edition (FDA)
- Guidance for Industry: Juice HACCP Hazards and Controls Guidance First Edition; Final Guidance (FDA)
- Guidance Documents for Meat and Poultry (USDA)
Added June 2016:
- NEW BPCS Training! Acidified Foods Manufacturing School (combination of online & in-person)
Added to Website - updated May 2016:
- Bibliography: Containing a comprehensive list of references pertaining to microbial safety of nuts and sesame seed. Publications on the Microbial Safety of Nuts and Sesame Seeds (updated 5-4-16) (PDF 219 KB)
- Outbreaks from Tree Nuts, Peanuts, and Sesame Seeds (updated 5-4-16) (PDF 130 KB)
- Recalls of Nuts (U.S.) (updated 5-4-16) (PDF 206 KB)
UC Food Blog
The well-rounded pumpkin: A versatile vegetable
Posted 10/11/2016 - From seed to table or as seeds on the table, there are many edible forms of this staple fall decoration. While some ease their teeth into the lightly cooked tender green shoots of the plant, the majority of people know the pumpkin in its spherical orange...
Merits of the proposed soda tax
Posted 10/7/2016 - In November, voters in Oakland, Albany and San Francisco will have an opportunity to make a real difference in the health and well-being of local residents. In all three communities, modest “soda tax” measures are on the ballot. These...