UC Food Safety Home
Research and Extension faculty at UC Davis, Drs. Erin DiCaprio, Linda Harris, and Trevor Suslow, welcome you to the University of California Food Safety website. Link to presentations, publications, and websites related to the production, harvest and processing of foods. The emphasis is microbial food safety but food biotechnology, food quality, and food security are also addressed.
Enjoy your summer...remember Picnic Food Safety!
- Barbecue and picnic food safety (WA State Dept. of Health)
- Checklist for packing a perfect picnic (UC Davis Health System)
- Eating outdoors, handling food safely (FDA)
- Perfect food safe picnics! (foodsafety.gov)
- Six tips to keep your food safe during picnics and camping trips (Michigan State University Extension)
Updated June 9, 2017: Nuts and Nut Pastes
- Outbreaks from Tree Nuts, Peanuts, and Sesame Seeds (updated 6-9-17) (PDF 84 KB)
- Surveys for Foodborne Pathogens on Nuts: Tables and References (updated 6-9-17) (PDF 111 KB)
- U.S. Recalls of Nuts: Table and References (updated 6-9-17) (PDF 107 KB)
Updated April 6, 2017: FSMA Final Rule on Sanitary Transportation of Human and Animal Food
Update March 31, 2017: Guidance for Industry: Recognition of Acceptable Unique Facility Identifier (UFI) for the Foreign Supplier Verification Programs Regulation
- Am I subject to FSVP? (PDF 69 KB) (Nov. 13, 2015)
- Compliance Dates for the Final Rule on Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP) for Importers of Food for Humans and Animals (Dec. 13, 2016)
- FSVP Factsheet (PDF 270 KB) (Nov. 13, 2015)
Updated April & February 2017: Nuts and Nut Pastes
- Bibliography: Containing a comprehensive list of references pertaining to microbial safety of nuts and sesame seed. Publications on the Microbial Safety of Nuts and Sesame Seeds (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 214 KB)
- Inactivation of Microorganisms in Nuts and Nut Pastes: Table and References (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 91 KB)
- Survival of Foodborne Pathogens on Nuts: Tables and References (updated 4-10-17) (PDF 85 KB)
Added March 2017: Agricultural Water
Added January 2017: Sprouts
UC Food Blog
Food waste is an ethical and environmental issue
Posted 7/14/2017 - Summer brings an abundance of luscious and healthy fruits and vegetables. It's easy to buy more than we can eat, which sometimes results in #foodwaste. In a guest blog post for the UC Food Observer, UC researcher Wendi Gosliner (part of...
School gardens get new life from UC Cooperative Extension volunteers
Posted 7/13/2017 - When children grow their own fresh fruits and vegetables, they are much more likely to eat healthy food, so for decades California politicians, teachers and nutrition educators have advocated for a garden in every school. However, UC Cooperative...