UC Food Safety Home
Research and Extension faculty at UC Davis, Drs. Linda Harris, Erin DiCaprio, and Trevor Suslow, welcome you to the University of California Food Safety website. Link to presentations, publications, and websites related to the production, harvest and processing of foods. The emphasis is microbial food safety but food biotechnology, food quality, and food security are also addressed.
Added March 2017: Agricultural Water
Updated February 2017: Nuts and Nut Pastes
- Bibliography: Containing a comprehensive list of references pertaining to microbial safety of nuts and sesame seed. Publications on the Microbial Safety of Nuts and Sesame Seeds (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 214 KB)
- Inactivation of Microorganisms in Nuts and Nut Pastes: Table and References (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 91 KB)
- Outbreaks from Tree Nuts, Peanuts, and Sesame Seeds (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 83 KB)
- Recalls of Nuts (U.S.) (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 97 KB)
- Surveys for Foodborne Pathogens on Nuts (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 106 KB)
Added January 2017: Sprouts
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Compliance with and Recommendations for Implementation of the Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption for Sprout Operations (PDF 1 MB)
- Sprouts: Subpart M (PDF 144 KB)
Added October 2016:
- 2016 Food Facility Biennial Registration Renewal (FDA) open period for renewals from Oct. 1, 2016 through Dec. 31, 2016.
- Draft Guidance for Industry - Q & A Regarding Food Facility Registration (7th Edition) (FDA)
- Garlic: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy Includes section on making garlic in oil, with recipe. (UCANR Publication) (PDF 1.08 MB)
Hazard and Control Guides (from HACCP Information page)
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Food (FDA)
- Fish and Fishery Products Hazards and Controls Guidance - Fourth Edition (FDA)
- Guidance for Industry: Juice HACCP Hazards and Controls Guidance First Edition; Final Guidance (FDA)
- Guidance Documents for Meat and Poultry (USDA)
Added June 2016:
- NEW BPCS Training! Acidified Foods Manufacturing School (combination of online & in-person)
UC Food Blog
Building blocks of health
Posted 3/27/2017 - The scenario: Tomorrow is farmers market day, but not just any market on any day. This market happens once a month as part of a collaboration between the Food Bank Coalition of San Luis Obispo County and Lopez High School. The high school, a continuation...
'Agriculture: Food for Life' is the theme of National Ag Week
Posted 3/24/2017 - How are you celebrating American agriculture in your life? In advance of National Ag Week, March 19-25, and National Ag Day, March 21, Central Valley third-grade students were “learning with lettuce” how to bring more agriculture into their...