Added August/July 2019
- Dropped Covered Produce (FDA Fact Sheet, August 1, 2019) (PDF 125 KB)
- Dropped Covered Produce - Spanish (FDA Fact Sheet, August 1, 2019 (PDF 136 KB)
- Farmer Questionnaire for Small and Very Small Farms (CDFA; due by August 31st, 2019) Letter and Questionnaire in English and Spanish
- Produce Safety Grower Training (Cornell/PSA)
- How to Schedule an On-Farm Readiness Review (CDFA) Required training and resources in this section as well.
Added June 2019
Added February 2019
- Additional Resources Support Compliance with the Produce Safety Rule (FDA, Feb. 7, 2019)
- Paving the Road for Produce Safety Inspections (FDA, Feb. 7, 2019)
- Produce Safety Inspections (FDA, Feb. 7, 2019)
- "What to Expect of a Regulatory Inspection" - Informational Handout for Farmers (FDA) (PDF 144 KB)
Added October 2018
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption(FDA) (as PDF 1.7 MB)
About the rule - Resources updated August, 2018
- California Dept. of Agriculture Produce Safety Program (2018)
- Factsheet Series on the Intersection of Organic (USDA NOP) and Food Safety (FDA FSMA) Regulations (Community Alliance with Family Farmers - CAFF)
- Farmers Guide to Food Safety and Conservation (Oct. 2017, CAFF) (PDF 853 KB)
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (PDF 1.6 MB) Flowchart to determine whether farms or small food processors are affected by the Produce Rule or Preventive Controls Rule for Human Food. (With CAFF: In Spanish, PDF 5.3 MB)
- Postharvest Resources (CAFF) Videos, tools, and topics on cleaning, disinfectants, sanitizers & on-farm wash water.
- Recordings, PDFs and Webinars for Growers (CAFF)
- What is the FSMA? (PennState Extension) 28-minute video
- Which FSMA Regulation Applies? (PennState Extension)
The Western Center for Food Safety was asked by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to facilitate the development of research protocols for scientific studies that evaluate the persistence of foodborne pathogens in the environment and on the edible portions of fresh produce following:
- application of potentially contaminated untreated soil amendments of animal origin to land used to grow fresh produce or
- application of potentially contaminated agricultural water applied to the edible portion of the crop
The Agricultural Water and Soil Amendment framework documents were developed by two committees through a series of webinars, e-mail communication and a workshop that was held in Davis, CA in October 2011. Additional academic, government and industry food safety experts reviewed the draft documents prior to submission to the Journal of Food Protection.
Biological Soil Amendments
- FDA Fact Sheet: Biological Soil Amendments of Animal Origin (FDA, 7-23-18) (PDF 155 KB)
- Produce Safety (Part 112) Compliance Dates for Small, Very Small, and Not Small Business (FDA)
- Produce Safety Alliance - Clarification of Compliance Dates (PDF 268 KB)
Enforcement Discretion for the Requirements of the Produce Safety Rule
The FDA announced that it intends to exercise enforcement discretion for the requirements of the Produce Safety Rule as they apply to entities growing, harvesting, packing, and holding wine grapes, hops, pulses, and almonds. (FDA, March 28, 2019)
- Constituent Update: FDA Announces Produce Safety Rule Enforcement Discretion Policy for Certain Commodities
- FDA In Brief: FDA announces enforcement discretion to accommodate unique circumstances faced by producers of hops, wine grapes, pulse crops and almonds while continuing to protect the public health
- Guidance for Industry: Enforcement Policy for Entities Growing, Harvesting, Packing, or Holding Hops, Wine Grapes, Pulse Crops, and Almonds
Fact Sheets - Final Rule
Final Produce Safety Rule
Farm Food Safety Plan Resources
- Farm Food Safety Plan Resources (Colorado State University Extension) Narrated modules on developing a farm food safety plan and other FSMA Produce Rule resources.
- Farm Food Safety Plan Writing Resources (Cornell)
- Factsheets and Food Safety Plan Templates (CAFF) See "Getting Started with Writing a Food Safety Plan". In English, Spanish, and Hmong.
- Food Safety Materials (UC Small Farm Program)
Food Safety Plan Templates
- Factsheets and Food Safety Plan Templates (CAFF) In English, Spanish, and Hmong.
- Good Agricultural Practices Food Safety Plan Template (Colorado State University Extension) (PDF 383 KB)
- Good Agricultural Practices Food Safety Plan Guide (Colorado State University Extension) (PDF 1.9 MB)
- Harmonized Food Safety Plan Sample (PennState Extension) (PDF 457 KB)
- Harmonized Food Safety Plan Template (PennState Extension) (Can download Word doc here)
Produce Safety Alliance
From the website: The Produce Safety Alliance is developing a nationwide curriculum to increase understanding of the principles of Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) and to facilitate the implementation of food safety practices on fresh fruit and vegetable farms and in packinghouses.
- Grower Training Manual (English)
- Grower Training Manual (Spanish)
- Grower Training Manual References and Links
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Compliance with and Recommendations for Implementation of the Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption for Sprout Operations (PDF 1 MB)
- Sprouts: Subpart M (PDF 144 KB)
- Sprout Safety Alliance: Public-private alliance responsible for developing core curriculum and conducting training and outreach for stakeholders in the sprout production community to enhance the industry’s understanding and implementation of the requirements of the FDA FSMA Produce Safety Rule.
- Upcoming Grower Trainings (Cornell Produce Safety Alliance)