Validation and Verification
- Calibrating Thermometers in Boiling Water: Boiling Point / Atmospheric Pressure / Altitude Tables (Dr. O. Peter Snyder, Hospitality Institute of Technology and Management) (PDF 98 KB)
- Creating a Properly Made Ice Bath (ThermoWorks)
- Thermometer Calibration Guide - Graphic (Kansas State University) (PDF 125 KB)
- Thermometer Calibration Guide (Kansas State University) (PDF 172 KB)
Challenge Studies and Pathogen Modeling Programs
- Baking Process Kill Step Calculators (AIB International)
- Clostridium botulinum Challenge Studies (Health Canada)
- FoodRisk.org - Online resource for food safety risk analysis.
- International Commission on the Microbiological Specifications for Food
- Listeria Challenge Studies (Health Canada)
- National Advisory Committee on the Microbiological Criteria for Foods report: Parameters for Determining Inoculated Pack/Challenge Study Protocols (Journal of Food Protection 73:140-202) (PDF 568 KB)
- Pathogen Modeling Programs A chart linking to several pathogen modeling programs and a description of the applicability of each model.
Microbiological Sampling Plans
- The International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods (ICMSF) sampling plan tool is a spreadsheet that calculates the probabilities of acceptance for materials with different microbial loads and population standard deviations and can be used to determine the performance of various sampling plans, as well as the operating characteristic curves. http://www.icmsf.org/main/software_downloads.html
Thermal Processing Specialists
- The IFTPS page (Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists) has listings for some process authorities.
- Almond Board of California recognized Process Authorities
- State of Colorado Division of Environmental Health and Sustainability's Approved Process Authority List (PDF 53 KB)
- (Codex) Codex Alimentarius Commission. 2008. Guidelines for the validation of food safety control measures (CAC/GL 69–2008). Joint FAO/WHO Food Standards Program, FAO, Rome. (PDF 171 KB). Available at: http://www.codexalimentarius.org/standards/list-of-standards/en/?provide=standards&orderField=fullReference&sort=asc&num1=CAC/GL
- (NACMCF) National Advisory Committee on Microbiological Criteria for Foods. 2006. Requisite scientific parameters for establishing the equivalence of alternative methods of pasteurization. Journal of Food Protection 69:1190–1216. (PDF 181 KB)
- Pivarnik, L.F., and R. Worobo. 2014. Non-thermal or Alternative Food Processing Methods to Enhance Microbial Safety and Quality - Frequently Asked Questions. (PDF 102 KB)
- Validating the reduction of Salmonella and other pathogens in heat processed low-moisture foods. (Alliance for Innovation & Operational Excellence, Alexandria, VA. Anderson, D. G. and L. A. Lucore, 2012) (PDF 4.7 MB)