UC Food Safety in the Kitchen Publications
UC Food Safety in the Kitchen
- Don't Give Kids a Tummyache!(UC Pub) This Spanish and English CD is directed towards parents and other caregivers of young children. The curriculum is on a CD and includes English and Spanish lesson plans, pre/post quizzes, handouts, and 19 full color visuals. The visuals can be used as a PowerPoint presentation or printed out to be used as a flipchart or as overhead transparencies.
The program is a fun & interactive way to teach food safety to those who care for young children. This program was adapted from the Penn State curriculum "Safe Foods--It's Up to You" and has been piloted tested for effectiveness.
The cost of the CD is $20. Order from:
University of California
ANR Communication Services
6701 San Pablo Ave.
Oakland, CA 94608-1239
- Egg Basics for the Consumer: Packaging, Storage, and Nutritional Information (UC Pub PDF 195K)
How to recognize freshness and quality in the eggs you buy for your home and family.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Food Irradiation (UC Pub PDF 33k) How does food irradation improve food safety? Is Irradiated food safe to eat? This free publication offers answers on basic concerns regarding this new technology. English and Spanish (Preguntas frecuentes sobre la irradiación de los alimentos PDF 76k)
- The Lunch Box Series, C: Safe Lunches for Preschol Children (UC Pub PDF 2335k) Tips on keeping food safety in mind when you put together your rpeschooler's nutritious sack lunch. In English and Spanish (La Lonchera: Cómo empacar almuerzos seguros para niños preescolares PDF 1290k).
- Pantry Pests: Pest Notes for Home and Landscape (UC Pub PDF 174k)
- Safe Handling of Fruits and Vegetables (UC Pub PDF 242k)
Guidelines for minimizing the risk of foodborne illness from fresh fruits and vegetables through proper handling, washing, and storage. The publication is available as a brochure in both English and Spanish and as a camera-ready version of a refrigerator magnet:
- English Publication on Safe Handling of Fruits and Vegetable (PDF 242k)
- English Brochure on Safe Handling of Fruits and Vegetable (PDF 1629k)
- English Camera-Ready PDF of Magnet on Safe Handling of Fruits and Vegetables
- Spanish Brochure on Safe Handling of Fruits and Vegetables
- Spanish Camera-Ready PDF of Magnet on Safe Handling of Fruits and Vegetables