Produce Safety Rule (Food Safety Modernization Act)
- Produce Safety (Part 112) Compliance Dates for Small, Very Small, and Not Small Business (FDA)
- Produce Safety Alliance - Clarification of Compliance Dates (PDF 220 KB)
Fact Sheets - Final Rule
Final Produce Safety Rule
The Western Center for Food Safety was asked by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to facilitate the development of research protocols for scientific studies that evaluate the persistence of foodborne pathogens in the environment and on the edible portions of fresh produce following:
- application of potentially contaminated untreated soil amendments of animal origin to land used to grow fresh produce or
- application of potentially contaminated agricultural water applied to the edible portion of the crop
The Agricultural Water and Soil Amendment framework documents were developed by two committees through a series of webinars, e-mail communication and a workshop that was held in Davis, CA in October 2011. Additional academic, government and industry food safety experts reviewed the draft documents prior to submission to the Journal of Food Protection.
- Colorado State University Extension Narrated modules on developing a farm food safety plan and other FSMA Produce Rule resources.
- Community Alliance with Family Farmers Factsheet Series on the Intersection of Organic (USDA NOP) and Food Safety (FDA FSMA) Regulations
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (PDF 1.6 MB) Flowchart to determine whether farms or small food processors are affected by the Produce Rule or Preventive Controls Rule for Human Food.
- Produce Safety Alliance From the website: The PSA is developing a nationwide curriculum to increase understanding of the principles of Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) and to facilitate the implementation of food safety practices on fresh fruit and vegetable farms and in packinghouses.
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Compliance with and Recommendations for Implementation of the Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption for Sprout Operations (PDF 1 MB)
- Sprouts: Subpart M (PDF 144 KB)
- Sprout Safety Alliance: Public-private alliance responsible for developing core curriculum and conducting training and outreach for stakeholders in the sprout production community to enhance the industry’s understanding and implementation of the requirements of the FDA FSMA Produce Safety Rule.