Home Food Preservation
Up-to-date publications on food preservation methods, such as freezing and canning, available from the University of California and other land-grant institutions.
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
The NCHFP website contains science-based recommendations about a variety of meats, fruits and vegetables. Find expert advice on canning, freezing, drying, curing & smoking, fermenting, pickling, and making jams and jellies. Find information useful for home preservation for educators and home food preservers.
- UC Home Preservation and Storage Publications
UC publications discuss safe preservation and storage of a variety of fruits and vegetables (listed alphabetically by item).
- Preserve@Home An online food preservation course. (University of Idaho Extension) Teaches individuals how to safely preserve a variety of food products.
- Safe and Healthy: Preserving Food at Home (University of Wisconsin-Extension)
- How Long Does Home-Canned Food Last? (Ball/Jarden Home Brands)
A comprehensive list of websites and PDF files discussing home food preservation.
Food Preservation Outbreaks
- Botulism associated with home-fermented tofu - March/April 2012 (CDC)
- Botulism from home-canned beets in Oregon - August 2012 (NC State and Kansas State University) (PDF 268 KB)
- Botulism from drinking prison-made illicit alcohol - Arizona, 2012 (CDC)
- Botulism from home canned green beans - Spokane 2009 - (NC State and Kansas State University) (PDF 411 KB)
- Botulism caused from unsafe canning of home vegetables, 2008 & 2009 (CDC)
Suppliers of Home Canning Supplies and Ingredients
- All American
A supplier of pressure cookers and canners.
- Ball (Jarden Home Brands)
A comprehensive source for home canning information, including the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving.
- Sure Jell (Kraft)
- Presto (National Presto Industries, Inc.)
A convenient resource for pressure canners, canning basics, recipes and methods.
A comprehensive list of University and Government websites discussing home food preservation.