UC Food Safety Home
Research and Extension faculty at UC Davis, Drs. Linda Harris, Erin DiCaprio, and Trevor Suslow, welcome you to the University of California Food Safety website. Link to presentations, publications, and websites related to the production, harvest and processing of foods. The emphasis is microbial food safety but food biotechnology, food quality, and food security are also addressed.
Updated April 6, 2017: FSMA Final Rule on Sanitary Transportation of Human and Animal Food
Update March 31, 2017: Guidance for Industry: Recognition of Acceptable Unique Facility Identifier (UFI) for the Foreign Supplier Verification Programs Regulation
- Am I subject to FSVP? (PDF 69 KB) (Nov. 13, 2015)
- Compliance Dates for the Final Rule on Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP) for Importers of Food for Humans and Animals (Dec. 13, 2016)
- FSVP Factsheet (PDF 270 KB) (Nov. 13, 2015)
Updated April & February 2017: Nuts and Nut Pastes
- Bibliography: Containing a comprehensive list of references pertaining to microbial safety of nuts and sesame seed. Publications on the Microbial Safety of Nuts and Sesame Seeds (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 214 KB)
- Inactivation of Microorganisms in Nuts and Nut Pastes: Table and References (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 91 KB)
- Outbreaks from Tree Nuts, Peanuts, and Sesame Seeds (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 83 KB)
- Surveys for Foodborne Pathogens on Nuts: Tables and References (updated 4-10-17) (PDF 103 KB)
- Survival of Foodborne Pathogens on Nuts: Tables and References (updated 4-10-17) (PDF 85 KB)
- U.S. Recalls of Nuts: Table and References (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 97 KB)
Added March 2017: Agricultural Water
Added January 2017: Sprouts
UC Food Blog
Rainbow of potential alternative pomegranate varieties
Posted 4/26/2017 - Almost all pomegranates grown in the United States are one variety: Wonderful. John Chater, a Ph.D. student at the University of California, Riverside, wants to change that. He would like to broaden the varieties of pomegranates available so that...
UC ANR scientists help fledgling Tanzania avocado industry
Posted 4/18/2017 - Dedicated growers and research support from the University of California have made avocados a California success story. As part of the UC Global Food Initiative, which is channeling UC resources toward sustainably feeding the world's growing population,...