UC Food Safety Home
Research and Extension faculty at UC Davis, Drs. Linda Harris, Erin DiCaprio, and Trevor Suslow, welcome you to the University of California Food Safety website. Link to presentations, publications, and websites related to the production, harvest and processing of foods. The emphasis is microbial food safety but food biotechnology, food quality, and food security are also addressed.
Updated February 2017: Nuts and Nut Pastes
- Bibliography: Containing a comprehensive list of references pertaining to microbial safety of nuts and sesame seed. Publications on the Microbial Safety of Nuts and Sesame Seeds (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 214 KB)
- Inactivation of Microorganisms in Nuts and Nut Pastes: Table and References (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 91 KB)
- Outbreaks from Tree Nuts, Peanuts, and Sesame Seeds (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 83 KB)
- Recalls of Nuts (U.S.) (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 97 KB)
- Surveys for Foodborne Pathogens on Nuts (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 106 KB)
Added January 2017: Sprouts
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Compliance with and Recommendations for Implementation of the Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption for Sprout Operations (PDF 1 MB)
- Sprouts: Subpart M (PDF 144 KB)
Added October 2016:
- 2016 Food Facility Biennial Registration Renewal (FDA) open period for renewals from Oct. 1, 2016 through Dec. 31, 2016.
- Draft Guidance for Industry - Q & A Regarding Food Facility Registration (7th Edition) (FDA)
- Garlic: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy Includes section on making garlic in oil, with recipe. (UCANR Publication) (PDF 1.08 MB)
Hazard and Control Guides (from HACCP Information page)
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Food (FDA)
- Fish and Fishery Products Hazards and Controls Guidance - Fourth Edition (FDA)
- Guidance for Industry: Juice HACCP Hazards and Controls Guidance First Edition; Final Guidance (FDA)
- Guidance Documents for Meat and Poultry (USDA)
Added June 2016:
- NEW BPCS Training! Acidified Foods Manufacturing School (combination of online & in-person)
UC Food Blog
Enjoy your tree nuts: UC scientists help with regulatory compliance
Posted 3/14/2017 - California tree nut growers will soon have to comply with new agriculture water testing requirements under the Produce Safety Rule in the 2011 Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA). University of California researchers and advisors are holding seminars to...
Start seedlings for your spring-summer vegetable garden
Posted 2/28/2017 - Get a jump start on your spring-summer vegetable garden. Start growing seedlings indoors now to have young plants ready to go into the ground when the weather warms and there is no longer a threat of frost. Growing vegetables from seeds is a passion for...