UC Food Safety Home
Research and Extension faculty at UC Davis, Drs. Erin DiCaprio, Linda Harris, and Trevor Suslow, welcome you to the University of California Food Safety website. Link to presentations, publications, and websites related to the production, harvest and processing of foods. The emphasis is microbial food safety but food biotechnology, food quality, and food security are also addressed.
Enjoy your summer...remember Picnic Food Safety!
- Barbecue and picnic food safety (WA State Dept. of Health)
- Checklist for packing a perfect picnic (UC Davis Health System)
- Eating outdoors, handling food safely (FDA)
- Perfect food safe picnics! (foodsafety.gov)
- Six tips to keep your food safe during picnics and camping trips (Michigan State University Extension)
Updated June 9, 2017: Nuts and Nut Pastes
- Outbreaks from Tree Nuts, Peanuts, and Sesame Seeds (updated 6-9-17) (PDF 84 KB)
- Surveys for Foodborne Pathogens on Nuts: Tables and References (updated 6-9-17) (PDF 111 KB)
- U.S. Recalls of Nuts: Table and References (updated 6-9-17) (PDF 107 KB)
Updated April 6, 2017: FSMA Final Rule on Sanitary Transportation of Human and Animal Food
Update March 31, 2017: Guidance for Industry: Recognition of Acceptable Unique Facility Identifier (UFI) for the Foreign Supplier Verification Programs Regulation
- Am I subject to FSVP? (PDF 69 KB) (Nov. 13, 2015)
- Compliance Dates for the Final Rule on Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP) for Importers of Food for Humans and Animals (Dec. 13, 2016)
- FSVP Factsheet (PDF 270 KB) (Nov. 13, 2015)
Updated April & February 2017: Nuts and Nut Pastes
- Bibliography: Containing a comprehensive list of references pertaining to microbial safety of nuts and sesame seed. Publications on the Microbial Safety of Nuts and Sesame Seeds (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 214 KB)
- Inactivation of Microorganisms in Nuts and Nut Pastes: Table and References (updated 2-6-17) (PDF 91 KB)
- Survival of Foodborne Pathogens on Nuts: Tables and References (updated 4-10-17) (PDF 85 KB)
Added March 2017: Agricultural Water
Added January 2017: Sprouts
UC Food Blog
FOOD IT: How will technology shape the future of food?
Posted 6/28/2017 - More than 300 people gathered in Mountain View for the fourth annual FOOD IT: Fork to Farm on June 27 to discuss the role of information technology in the food system – from managing crops in the field to dealing with consumer food waste. The...
Late-harvest processing peaches produce more profit, new UC studies show
Posted 6/21/2017 - Tree fruit growers can receive premiums for delivering certain extra-early varieties of peaches, but peach farmers may net roughly $800 more per acre from late-harvest processing peaches than extra-early harvest varieties, according to new cost...